Notes from Southeast Asia: The contents of this blog reflect only my opinions and thoughts and are in no way associated with the U.S. Goverment, the U.S. Peace Corps or the Royal Thai Goverment

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Buddhism and Bikes

Last night I got out of the hong nam (bathroom) after a shower and, for the first time since arriving in Thailand, I really wished I had a sweatshirt. It was quite an awesome feeling - to be cold. Made me really want to go snowboarding. But things are still going well for me here. I was asked the other day how I was doing and I replied good but then he asked why. My answer was that this is the first time in my whole life that I have said "life is so good" more than a couple times a day for more than 3 days in a row. The other day I got the pleasure of participating in part of a two day ceremony for Anton's brother who is becoming a monk. They have a hair cutting ceremony (The after picture is on the left there. Anton is on the far left, his brother, Garrett, and then one of our Ajaans (teachers) Denai). so there were about 50-75 people crowding around him as he sat in a chair holding candles between his hands that were in prayer position. There was a group of 3 guys playing music in a truck behind him reminiscent of rock and roll but with a Thai twist. Each person came through and cut part of his hair off and at first I was just watching but as the Thai are generous, they asked me to cut part of his hair as well so I took the scissors, waied him, and then cut. I think I pulled a little harder than would be comfortable but he sat there with his eyes closed through the whole thing. I wonder what he was thinking. I was able to steal some pictures off of Garrett's blog for those of you who want some. This one below is of some of us meeting on a weekend at our favorite hang out spot. We call it The Chang named after the Beer Chang, the beer of choice of a lot of volunteers here. I unfortunately don't like beer (unfortunate because it is so cheap) and mixed drinks aren't really common (which is fine) so I just drink green tea (which is actually delicious). The family that runs this shop is very very sweet. They have the one little table that you see in the picture but as more of us show up they will bring out table and chairs from their house to accommodate us. I hope they like us because good god are we loud! I love this picture because of the bike parking lot we have created. They gave us all (56 of us) all brand new Trek bikes with LED lights for the front and back, tire pumps, helmets, and patch kids. They were very good to us. So anyway, I think that that is good for now. My friend did let me borrow her camera for a day so I have some pictures of my own homestay but don't have a USB cord yet sooooo....they are coming. So thank you all for your comments (keep them coming) but I do also really really want people to write me long emails about what is going on in their life!

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Sadie, can you tell us exactly where you are located right now? You mentioned Bangkok early on but the location sounds more rural and from the picture, it looks like it as well.

krista said...

Hey,so its a good thing youre not a beer drinker or you might really thai one on.
I wonder about the musicians you mentioned. what sort of instuments are the playing?
Have not gotten email from you so don't have email address.
You know all that snow we got at xmas - its mostly still here, neigborood streets still rutty and icy, cats and dogs frozen in mid stide.
allways great to read whats happening there!
email us.
Dad

Unknown said...

Holy moley - it's a Trek caravan!

Don't give up on beer yet - it's an acquired taste, and eventually your palette will be refined enough to scorn people that drink swill like Budweiser. All this happens in like a week when you move to Wisconsin.

Gayle said...

Oh yeah, Jason's right. I hated beer once. Chang is good beer so don't give up on it. Mmmmm